Re: [OM] Focus Snap In

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Snap In
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:10:41 -0800
On 14 Nov 98, at 19:09, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> At 10:42 PM 11/13/1998 EST, BW you wrote:
> >Hi Joel and all,
> >I personally think this "Snap In" focus (or lack of) is often overlooked by
> >those who have converted to the 2 series screens.  I took mine out of my 3Ti
> >and replaced it with a 1-10.  While I will agree the 2 series screens are
> >brighter, I feel I lost too much in focus ability.
> >If one truly wants a bright screen, way not the 1-5,6,7.  Yes, I know they do
> >not allow DOF preview.
> >Just food for thought.
> >BW
> >
> Hi Buddy,
>
> I'm intrigued by your first statement but not sure I understand it. Are you
> saying that the 2-series screens have, or don't have, the "snap-in focus"
> quality?

I think he's saying they don't, and I'd agree. They are brighter, but there are
times when a 1- screen is more accurate (ie: under good lighting). I was
thrilled with my 2-13 at first, but am now finding a few flaws, the biggest
being a distorted DOF range. I find it makes the DOF look wider than it is -
shooting with my 85/2 things in the background appear recognizable in the
viewfinder, but are a complete (and pleasant) blur on film. Also, when trying
to judge DOF range with the stop down button, it seems one can
overestimate the visible range of sharpness. And when shooting really close,
I find the split image is often the only way to check critical focus. It's not
enough to make me remove the 2-13, but it is a bit annoying at times. At
other times, especially low light, I'm glad it's there!

> As I mentioned in another context, I don't use the brighter screens. I've
> been satisfied with the 1-series and am, knock wood, blessed with good
> eyes.  In fact, the lowly 1-13 I've found to be very satisfactory all around.
>
> As far as DOF preview goes, perhaps 2-series users could speak up about
> this.  I usually figure DOF from the lens markings.  Once in a blue moon I
> do push the button and try to see if I can see what is in focus but at the
> smaller stops it is just too dark to show much.  Do the 2-series screens
> make the DOF preview brighter and actually more useful?  I have some doubts.
Brighter, yes. More useful, no. I have always use DOF preview a lot, but am
now stopping down one extra stop after previewing, if possible. (Just as I
often do when using the scales).

ps: Finishing a test roll of Elite 100 in my new OM-1 in the chapel today, I
could have used both a 2- screen and the lighted display of the 4T - it was so
dark I could barely see the meter! Luckily with my 21/3.5 I didn't really need
to focus... :-))

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright