[OM] Half stops

Subject: [OM] Half stops
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:20:06 -0800
Someone mentioned the lack of 1/2-stop click points on OM shutters and
lenses.  Do the electronics in the OM-1 and 2 work properly if you put a
lens between "whole" stops?  How about the shutters?

I understand that the answer may be different in manual vs. automatic mode.
In Auto, the shutter can use any "in-between" speed for correct exposure.
But will it understand if the lens is between f/4 and f/5.6?  I would
suspect so, since it is using the actual light falling on the film when the
lens is stopped down for exposure.

But how about in Manual mode, where we're measuring light with the lens
wide open?  A lens cam is telling the meter what f-stop the lens is set to.
 Internally, is the smallest unit the meter can deal with a whole stop?
Does the lens' f-stop cam continuously move a potentiometer or pulleys, or
does it switch in a discrete resistor every whole stop?
----