[OM] bargains from overseas?

Subject: [OM] bargains from overseas?
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 06:00:41 -0800
> There are some, in my opinion, urban myths about places where you can
> get expensive products very cheap, like HK, NY and Singapore. Of course,
> tourism managers like to feed these rumors for obvious reasons.

When I started accumulating my OM system 20+ years ago, I bought a lot
of stuff from a Hong Kong dealer. Not only were the prices lower than
what I could get in the US (even after I paid a small duty), but the
service was excellent. When my M.15V pack failed during the warranty
period, they replaced it promptly. And you should have seen the way they
packed stuff -- it was pefectly stacked, and pieces of plastic foam were
custom-cut to fill the voids.

Around 1975 I bought an OM-2 in Bermuda. Again, the price was lower than
in the US. (I shouldn't have bought a body outside the US, because it is
far more likely to break down than a lens. I have never had any trouble
with any of my Zuiko lenses.)

The question, of course, is what the current situation is. Foreign
currencies are generally stronger with respect to the dollar, so it's
unlikely there are any really good deals out there. Has anyone
researched this?