Re: [OM] Giles' very expensive brochure

Subject: Re: [OM] Giles' very expensive brochure
From: "David Brown" <keswick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:29:57 -0000
John - you must feel so much better now you're admitting your Zuikoholism
to yourself, but take it from me you won't feel better if you admit it to
your wife - not with actual (as opposed to deflated) figures anyway.

My wife asked me a few weeks ago if I had a record of all my camera
equipment - of course, I said, I keep it all listed with serial numbers and
what I paid for it in an Excel file .....

I spent the next 10 minutes trying to work out how to password protect
Excel files :).

BTW that's quite a good price for a T28 and shoe (and it's a LOT lighter
than two T32s) but the 38mm is a bit over the top - I've got an as new one
for sale for £225 if you feel the symptoms coming on again :). After
spending two years looking for one I've ended up with two!

Best wishes, David

> All,
>
> I have been involved in some offline mail with Giles regarding Uniloc and
Benbo tripods. I thought I
> had a couple of Uniloc brochures which I could send to him as he reckons
he can't get them out in the
> wilds of Ireland. The brochure has been kicking around in my study for
months and typically, now that
> I wanted it I couldn't find it. Anyway I told Giles I would go into Leeds
on the Saturday and pick up
> a brochure for him.
>
> I work in a remote spot and I don't get into the big cities much these
days, so I never get to check
> out the camera shops etc. However, I duly set off to Leeds last Saturday
afternoon as I'd promised
> Giles and managed to get a parking spot right outside Jessops' shop
window. These are a big camera
> chain store here in the UK. Before entering the shop I was lured to the
used equipment window which
> was all lit up as the darkness drew in at about 16:45. I looked straight
to the shelf where they used
> to keep the secondhand OM gear, and I'd bought plenty from here in the
past, but I wasn't expecting
> what I saw.
>
> Sitting on the shelf were the usual OM1's, 2's 10's and 2SP's and a few
135mm and 50mm but there was
> also a selection of macro gear that someone had obviously dumped
recently, definately someone bailing
> out because there was an 80mm and 65-116 tube, but I've got one of these,
and a 38mm f/2.8 macro lens!
> I'd never even seen one in the flesh before. It was marked on the ticket
as 'A rare item' (I'll say)
> and had a price tag of £345 UK Pounds. I couldn't afford this gem.
Sitting right next to this was a
> pair of T28 macro flashes on a shoe ring for £149. Again I've never seen
these before. Anyway, I
> didn't need these. I have 4 T32s, a T20 and whole selection of cords and
macro brackets. I decided I
> could pass them by. My mouth went dry, I took a deep breath and went into
the shop.

> A young girl assistant came over to serve me. I looked nervously over my
shoulder to the car out side
> where my wife was waiting. I asked for some slide mounts to stall for
time while my brain raced to do
> some calculations. She brought a box of 100 slide mounts, I sent her back
for another three to stall
> some more. I only want a Uniloc brochure for Giles I kept telling myself!
The slide mounts were piling
> up on the counter. 'Anything else?' she asked with a smile. My mouth was
dry and my heart racing, my
> brain's saying no but in my heart..... I asked for the Uniloc brochure.
She sent someone else for it.
> I stared at her breasts to try and distract myself, but it was no good.
'Can I have a look at the T28s
> ?' I blurted out. 'Sure' she says and saunters off to get them. 'It can't
do any harm to look' I keep
> telling myself. Can it? I again peer over my shoulder, time's ebbing the
wife's bound to suspect. Then
> she appears, carrying the T28 by the bit that attaches to the T10 control
pack, between thumb and
> forefinger as if its a pair of soiled underwear. I quickly rescue them
from her and now I have them in
> my grasp. She calls another guy over as she says she doesn't know
anything about these, but this guy
> would answer any questions. There's only one question in my mind, but I
keep telling myself I have the
> 4 T32s etc and I've even had a front cover shot using this set up. I
don't need the T28s.

> Then I start thinking about the price - £149. I know David Brown will
have bought his for half that
> price somewhere over the net. I'm trying to think what the going rate is;
my palms are sweaty. 'Is
> this your best price?' I ask, looking over my shoulder. The guy thinks
for a while. '£129' he says. I
> pause, he must think I'm not sure, so he says '£120 then but that's it'.
I get out the credit card and