[OM] ISO extension tubes

Subject: [OM] ISO extension tubes
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:53:51 -0800
>From: "Red Rover" <red_rover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>...are they only supposed to be used with the macro
>lenses? I'm saving up for a 50 3.5 but would like to do some closeup work in
>the meantime...

What you lose primarily is flatness of field. With a normal lens on the
tubes, the focus field will be somewhat concave. This can be useful if
you're shooting a bee in the middle of a flower, but is generally a
nuiscance! Stopping down can help. If you're interested in shooting stamps
or copying slides, it is more a problem than in nature photography, where
few things are flat anyway.

Since you're "saving up for a 50/3.5," why don't you get the tubes anyway,
and see if you really need the macro lens? If you then decide you need the
macro lens, you'll want the tubes for it anyway.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229