Re: [OM] ISO extension tubes

Subject: Re: [OM] ISO extension tubes
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:03:03 -0800
>From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>IMHO, you will get better results with a normal lens with a reversing ring
>and extension than with a normal lens and close-up lens attachments.
>...With the reversing ring, all body-to-lens automation is lost,
>leaving you with effectively a preset lens arrangement...

And how do you accomplish that? I used one of those springy metal pants
cuffs protector for cyclists to hold in the depth-of-field button, but it
sure would have been nice if there was some other way.

Another trade-off of this approach is exposing that sensitive rear element
to the elements. A scuff on the back is worth three or four on the front,
in terms of image quality!

Still, it is inexpensive. I shot macro that way for years until I could
afford a real macro lens.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229