RE: [OM] ISO extension tubes + reversing rings

Subject: RE: [OM] ISO extension tubes + reversing rings
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:26:21 -0800
On 15 Nov 98, at 23:10, Greg Heier wrote:

> I was at B&H the other day and saw a display that mentioned they have
> reversing rings in 49mm for Olympus (along with every other major system). I
> was in a hurry to get to the airport and didn't check the price or
> availability, however.
>
> I'm wondering if I might be able to get a stepping ring to work... I'd like
> to try it with some > 49mm filter size lenses. I'm thinking the problem I'll
> run into is that I'd need a female to female stepping ring, where all the
> normal rings would be male to female or vice versa.

Sounds like you're trying to reverse one lens onto another, rather than onto
the body. I have been unable to find either the female-female filter ring, or a
real OM reverse mount, but I have done this:

Mount a 135mm lens.
Carefully use electrical tape to attached a reversed 50 or 35mm lens.
Shoot away, preferably with TTL flash.
You will need plenty of light to focus, and have to check for vignetting, adust
apertures until it goes away. I believe the reversed lens should be left nearly
wide open.
I have some shots taken 15 years ago with an OM-2 and 310 TTL flash with
more than 3:1 mag!

Have fun!

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx