Re: [OM] varimagni finder

Subject: Re: [OM] varimagni finder
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:22:59 -0500
>One thing I don't like about it is the lack of calibration marks or a
>lock for the diopter adjustment. It seems every time I get it out it's
>out of focus from accidental twisting. This is frustrating when you
>don't realize it, and think you're going blind, or there's something
>wrong with the bellows or lens!

>I scratched a pair of lines in mine (sacrelige!) and labeled them "L"
>and "R". (My eyes are about 1/4 diopter different.) Now I pop it out,
>set it to the eye I'm going to use, and concentrate on focusing with
the
>lens instead of screwing around with the diopter adjustment.

I experienced the same problem but found a more elegant solution for it
- one that doesn't damage the VMF.
After calibrating the VMF with the 1-13 screen mounted in my OM-2n I
attached two thin stripes cut off of a white self-adhesive paper label,
one on the fixed part of the VMF and one on the diopter, drew lines on
it and marked the 'zero' position. I used my OM-2n, rather than the
OM-4, to make sure I had a neutral dioptric value on the camera side.
Afterwards, I calibrated the diopters on my OM-3 and OM-4 cameras,
having the VMF on 2.5x. This was very important for me, because first I
thought my VMF was broke when I couldn't get *any* sharp image on my
OM-4 with the VMF at 2.5x. It appeared to be just a misinterpretation
of the dioptric correction I made on the camera side...

Hans