Re: [OM] 310 Flash --> OM2S

Subject: Re: [OM] 310 Flash --> OM2S
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:48:15 -0800
On 16 Nov 98, at 19:18, Cam Bevis wrote:
>       Hello all.  A friend recently gave me a whole OM-2S setup (lenses,
> winder,
> etc.) including a 310 flash.
>
>   The stuff he gave me also includes an OM-2 body, and I know this flash
> will work with that body.  I've also found OM-1,2 to T-XX (shoe 4) adapters.
> Is there something that goes the other way?  I don't think I want a flash
> sync cord, because that wouldn't handle exposure compensation with the
> flash, true?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.  My manuals haven't arrived from Olympus.

The 310 flash uses an earlier TTL design than that on the 2n and 2S, which
is not compatible (the TTL pin does not line up, and apparently the voltage is
different also). To be sure, only use your 310 on normal Auto or Manual, NOT
TTL (the 12 o'clock position). The 310 only gives TTL operation on an OM-2
(not n) with Shoe 2.
It is still a decent flash, providing good wide angle coverage, and a GN of 34
meters. I have two of them, one of which has served well on an OM-1, 2, 4T
and even a N*k*n 2020, for over 20 years now.
For off camera flash, you can use an Olympus Syncro PC cord to TTL
socket (doesn't give TTL, but fits it the connector on the side of the 310), or
use a hot shoe socket with PC cord.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright