Re: [OM] T32 washout, & 28-80mm F2.8 Zuiko??

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 washout, & 28-80mm F2.8 Zuiko??
From: "webmaster" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:20:38 -0800
Others have answered the T32 question better than I could have.
As for the 35-80 f/2.8 Zuiko zoom (not 28-80 btw) it is, quite simply,
outstanding.  At all focal lengths it is sharp and contrasty.  I've read
reports that comment on some barrel distortion, but I have never noticed it.
The two-touch design has plusses and minuses - to me it is too much a
personal choice to comment on.  The feel of the controls is all Zuiko, firm,
smooth, responsive.  The finish is equally excellent.  For all its
positives, this lens has a few drawbacks too.  First is it is almost
sinfully expensive - nearly $USD 1,200 last I looked.  It is also quite
heavy.  Mine came with a simple drawstring pouch for storage - for that kind
of money I expect a proper hard case.  Still, it is my favorite lens; it
practically lives on the OM-4T.  Would I buy one again?  I don't know.  I
saw my first used one just this week in the latest B&H catalog.  I'm sure
it's gone by now.  Oh, one other thing, the 35-80 won't replace the 28 or
the 50 for two reasons.   First, and perhaps the most important, is those
fixed-length primes are exactly the right optics for certain (frequent)
situations.  Use them accordingly.  The second is one can never have too
many Zuikos.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx> asked: