Re: [OM] Mirror Lock-up / OM-1 vs. OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror Lock-up / OM-1 vs. OM-2
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:44:01 -0800
Yes, I have heard of this 1/15 sec theory myself.
If this is true, then the mirror up is only needed for 2 shutter speeds.
1/15 and 1/8 sec.
That would also exclude flash exposures at those speeds.
( no ambient light in exposure ).

I have trouble with this also.
I guess I will have to do a side by side at different speeds with and w/o
MLU.
The problem is time or lack of.
That's why I took the lazy way out and just asked. :-)

My M645 has MLU as do most medium format cameras.  Is this some Pro hype or
just in case you want to use that clunker for macro?

In consideration, I will not ask how long is a thread.

Later,
Charlie Loeven

<<<Hi Charles,
I followed this thread with hopes we would get some valuable impute, as this
has been a concern of mine since I converted from my OM1's to OM3's.  And
NO,
I am not going to ask you how long a string is!
In all the reading I have done, most Pros recommend using the lock-up at
slower(?) shutter speeds.  Only John Shaw goes into much detail.  He
basically
claims that vibration from mirror "slap" last approx. 1/15 second so it has
little effect at slower or faster shutter speeds.  So therefore, if you do
not
have a mirror lock-up, try and avoid shooting at 1/15 & 1/8 second speeds.
He
gives an example of; 'if exposure last 1 second, then 1/15 would be
"un-sharp"
and 14/15 of the exposure would be sharp'.
I am still not sure if I buy John's rational but it does make one think.