Re: [OM] Film opinions and loose shoes

Subject: Re: [OM] Film opinions and loose shoes
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:06:48 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 11:34:30 PST you write:

>I have always found that awareness is the best remedy.  I check that nothing
>has fallen off regularly,  this is also a problem with lens caps.

While I agree that awareness is the best remedy, sometimes it is not
good enough.  If you happen to be standing in a location where if
something falls off, it is gone forever (deck of a ship, boardwalk,
etc), it is generally too late once you realize it has fallen off.  The
eyecup and hot shoe fall off problems are probably two of the worst
design errors in the OM system.  I now use an eyecup much less often
than I would like to, because it is such a pain to have to keep up with
it.  And I find I do almost all my flash photograpy with my OM-4Ti or an
OM-2N which has a TTL Autoconnector Type 4 and Bounce Grip II.  Back
when all I had was an OM-1N, keeping up with eyecups and hotshoes was a
big pain in the rear, and I probably did lots more flash work then than
now.

Cheers,
--Lee