[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #621

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #621
From: gpalman@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:45:48 -0500
John,
I'm not sure just what he means by flat field lens though I can guess.
As far as astrophotography goes, delivering a flat field, one that is at
the same point of focus on the edges as in the center is paramount
to giving photos that are in focus across the field. Folks will go to
great lengths to acquire telescopes designed to deliver flat fields on
film....since the lens is curved this can be a big problem if not
properly designed. Astro Physics for example has flat field designs
that give pretty good results on 35mm film format. For med. format
or if one is real picky with 35mm they make an accessory that really
does deliver flat fields on film. I don't have a clue how the macro
designs mentioned perform with ragard to field flatness, but if they
are better at this than standard lenses then they should be
preferable. --greg