[OM] Winder 2 woes

Subject: [OM] Winder 2 woes
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:16:36 -0700
Need some advice from the assembled Wise Ones.

I have a Winder 2 which has served me well since 1984.  The last time I used it
extensively was in May, when I shot several rolls of film using the Winder.
Operation was flawless.

Last night, I couldn't get it to come to anything else but sporadic life.  It
would fire off a shot, wind only partway, and then refuse to fire.  By the end
of the evening, it would refuse to fire altogether, even though the batteries
were fresh and I checked and re-checked various possibilities, such as
electrical contacts, mechanical couplings, etc.  Taking the Winder off of the
camera (an OM-4) while it was set to "single" would sometimes cause the Winder
to fire spontaneously.  Same with putting it back on.

Is the Winder 2 easy to disassemble or difficult?  I'm tempted to take it apart
to see whether anything obvious has broken (such as a wire), since it's long
since out-of-warranty.  Does the described behaviour suggest any particular
problem to anyone?  Any and all replies would be appreciated.  I'm not really
choked up about this, but it would be nice to have it back in working order.
If it should need servicing, does anyone know whether servicing it is worth it
(in other words, should I just buy a new one?)?

Garth