[OM] Meter readings with 600mm telephoto

Subject: [OM] Meter readings with 600mm telephoto
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 18:25:18 -0800
>From: "Ben Poels" <poelsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I have a 600mm Soligor telephoto... It consistently meters at a shutter
>speed four times slower than my other lenses meter at on the same
>camera and also set to f8. This lens is in mint condition and was
>supposedly never used.

If it is a T-mount lens, then all bets are off for proper metering, because
the T-mount manufacuturer has no idea about the speed of the lens it will
be mounted on.

An automatic lens has a coupling pin that tells the camera the aperature
setting of a lens. On a T-mount, there is a pin that tells the camera some
arbitrary aperature.

If you're handy mechanically, you can try to modify this by measuring the
position of the coupling pin of an automatic lens set to f8, and then
modifying the T-mount pin to be at the same location. Now the exposure will
read correctly when wide open and when manually stopped down.

Luckily, the auto-exposure system will "do the right thing," and you may be
able to simply live with mentally deducting four stops when planning your
shot.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229