Re: [OM] 18 0rey cards vs incident meter

Subject: Re: [OM] 18 0rey cards vs incident meter
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:06:21 -0800
Stephen Worner wrote:
>I realise this was discussed at length earlier this year so I'll just
>pose a question that just needs a 'yes' or 'no' answer (if there is such
>a thing!)...
>
>By getting a TTL reading from an 18 0rey card am I, for all intents and
>purposes, getting the same thing an incident light meter would provide?

For all intents and purposes, no. The advantage of an incident meter is
consistency. The reading will be the same each time as long as the
collection hemispere is held in the same type of light. With an 18 0rey
card there is the problem of reflectance. The grey card must be held at
exactly the same angle each time or the amount of light reflected from it
will be different. This of course will give you a different reading each
time.

Regards,
John