Re: [OM] 18 0rey cards vs incident meter

Subject: Re: [OM] 18 0rey cards vs incident meter
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Nov 1998 06:55:16 +1000
Stephen Worner <sworner@xxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> I realise this was discussed at length earlier this year so I'll just
> pose a question that just needs a 'yes' or 'no' answer (if there is such
> a thing!)...
>
> By getting a TTL reading from an 18 0rey card am I, for all intents and
> purposes, getting the same thing an incident light meter would provide?

Yes[1].

HTH,
        Chris.

[1] Okay, so it's not that simple.   Perhaps, no.

The "dome" on an incident meter collects all the light on the camera
side of the subject (which is why you point it at the camera).

The grey card is flat[2], and thus needs to be an even, diffuse reflector
to have the same property.

The readings should agree very closely, but I bet someone can come up
with a pathological situation where they don't.

[2] Okay, should be flat.  Mine is creased, twisted and mangled. :-)