Re: [OM] Missed photo-op of the week...

Subject: Re: [OM] Missed photo-op of the week...
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:51:45 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Jay Maynard wrote:

> This is one of my hot buttons...I spent 17 years as a volunteer
> EMT/paramedic.
> Great photojournalism of accident scenes and such does not require, or even
> suggest, showing the victim in an identifiable way. I've never understood
> why news photographers - especially TV news cameramen, but also newspaper
> photographers - feel compelled to move around until they can get a clear
> shot of a patient's face, or why they get so irritated when the requirements
> of patient care mandate that I get between their lens and the patient.

  I agree that shots of the victims are un-necessary. Locally, a newspaper
published images of the moment when a Mother & Father were told that their
daughter's body had been found (a drowning), and they were smitten with
 the horror of hopelesness. I was so incensed that I arranged a meeting
with the Editor in Chief and blasted him for using it. He
replied that was what people wanted to see, that they had a
responsibility to their advertisers, but most of all, that it was news.
Oh, another person might have been cool about it, but I was not. I looked
the Editor in the eye and said: The day YOU die it will be news
hereabouts, will your photographer be there to record the moment your wife
and family realize it ? Will it run ? He just smirked. I arose, thanked
him for his time and left quietly.
                                           *= Doris Fang =*