Re: [OM] OM-1 prism foam removal

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 prism foam removal
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:02:30 -0400
>, but not before scratching the black wind
>lever screw cover. (aargh!) I figured I could do it without damage as I had
>done so on my OM-10s, but no go - it was tight, and I slipped...

>Total time including messing up the wind screw was just over an hour, so it's
>no big deal, but if you have a mint OM-1, I'd try to find a proper spanner
>for
>this screw. I ended up enlarging the holes slightly to fit my circlip pliers
>smallest tips, which I should have tried first.
>

>Shawn & Janis Wright

There should be no need to use any tool IN the holes of that little disc.
Applying rubber tension ON TOP of it (a rubber cork of sufficient diameter,
a piece of inner tube pressed against it and twisted) should do the trick,
as somebody here has already suggested, and as I have done on various
occasions. You can leave that black anodized aluminum disk (which is a
piece of decoration, nothing else) untouched and pristine in spite of
dismantling the top.

By the way, as far as I know, Olympus has officially depleted their stock
of these. Maybe John has still some available?

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas/Venezuela