Re: [OM] Winder 2 woes

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder 2 woes
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:42:46 +0100
Garth Wood wrote:

> Need some advice from the assembled Wise Ones.
>
> I have a Winder 2 which has served me well since 1984.  The last time I used
> it extensively was in May, when I shot several rolls of film using the
> Winder.  Operation was flawless.
>
> Last night, I couldn't get it to come to anything else but sporadic life.  It
> would fire off a shot, wind only partway, and then refuse to fire.  By the
> end of the evening, it would refuse to fire altogether, even though the
> batteries were fresh and I checked and re-checked various possibilities, such
> as electrical contacts, mechanical couplings, etc.  Taking the Winder off of
> the camera (an OM-4) while it was set to "single" would sometimes cause the
> Winder to fire spontaneously.  Same with putting it back on.
>
> Is the Winder 2 easy to disassemble or difficult?  I'm tempted to take it
> apart to see whether anything obvious has broken (such as a wire), since it's
> long since out-of-warranty.  Does the described behaviour suggest any
> particular problem to anyone?  Any and all replies would be appreciated.  I'm
> not really choked up about this, but it would be nice to have it back in
> working order.  If it should need servicing, does anyone know whether
> servicing it is worth it (in other words, should I just buy a new one?)?
>
> Garth

So far noone has risen to this one, so as a confirmed Winder 1
"hacker" I suppose I ought to say something.

The symptoms you describe sound much like a dirty switch
or contact. Try cleaning the extenal ones first. Next
remove the bottom and clean the main switch at the bottom.
I have had problems caused by that one. If that does not help,
the problem lies deeper, so you will have to take the drive
mechanism out and clean the switch, which is in there if
it is built anything like winder 1.

The Winder 2 housing is built along the same lines as the
Winder 1, so dismantling is done the same way. The first
part of the procedure is on my web page (modification section).
The drive mechanism is kept in place with three screws
from the bottom and one from the top. The last one is
located above the drive wheel for the 250 exposure back.

For camera equipment, it is relatively crude and so is fairly
easy to work on. Be sure to have a philips #0 screwdriver.
The only problems are to avoid damage to the electrical wires
and to get the 250 back drive wheel and cover back in place.
That last one is harder than you would think, as the wheel,
cover and screw need to be in place before the rest of the
mechanism is put back. Tape is a great help here.

As always when tinkering, take your time and keep track of
all the small bits and pieces. Someone has suggested using
a camcorder to record everything you do. That sure ought to
make it easier to find that spring that just came flying :-)

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"