Re: [OM] from "SALE" to "AUCTION"; what is mint?; camera bags

Subject: Re: [OM] from "SALE" to "AUCTION"; what is mint?; camera bags
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 19:03:16 EST
This one bothered me through my whole equipment buying day:

> I might add that $500 is far too low a price for a mint OM-4T body. A
>  new body sells for $1000, so this person should have been asking around
>  $750. That would have given him some "wiggle room" to _come down_ in
>  price if he couldn't find a buyer.

Selling isn't a totally logical exercise!  Maybe the owner bought it when it
was $500 (which it was at one time) and they feel that getting 750f what
they paid then is a good enough deal.  Or they badly need money and $500 is
just the ticket to Paradise.  And 75 0s no magical price percentage.  It all
depends on the demand in the venue the seller is working.  Just because we
think something is a hot item doesn't mean John Q Public does.  John Q.
certainly isn't biting at $1000+ OM-4Ti 's!  And it shows.  66 0s as high as
I would appraise, least the seller want to sit on the camera for months.

>  When selling, you should _always_ ask a price slightly higher than you
>  are willing to settle for. If someone so badly wants the item that
>  they'll pay the higher price, you're ahead.

Geesh, I wish some folks would get over that idea.  It doesn't work in
cybercommerce.  One can't waste the time offering less because someone
offering what is being asked will more than likely beat you to the first legit
offer.  When I offer something through Internet channels, 800f the time it
sells at what I've priced it at.  And 500f the time it sells in a day.  I
get disgusted when I get a discounted offer hours after something goes up for
sale.  My advise is that if you know an item is fresh, don't dilly dally
around with a counteroffer - or you will likely loose out!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV