Re: [OM] OT: An interesting site.

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: An interesting site.
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:33:59 -0800
On 29 Nov 98, at 19:42, Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I would also like to quote a part of a text on one of the sites:
>
>   There is no difference in performance between
>   a new high-quality lens and a high-quality lens made
>   twenty years ago. For normal, everyday photography there is no
>   reason to be obsessive about the latest developments in lenses. The
>   quality of reproduction is good enough even without the latest
>   lenses, and so long as you are not all thumbs you can get great
>   results with old lenses. The picture, after all, is much more about
>   the sharpness of the person standing behind the camera
>   than the sharpness of the lens.
>
> So true.
> This only proves what one might guess: Don't despise old lenses and
> cameras. Unfortunately many people do that today and only looking for
> the latest in hope to get good pictures.

Yes, very true. Last weekend, we viewed family slides taken from ~1962 to
~1988, with the early ones taken using a Konica, and those after 1976 with
an OM-2, and most on K64 or K25. The main visible difference was better
exposures with the OM-2 - sharpness and contrast with the earlier
camera/lenses was usually just as good. Several of the early shots won
amateur contests at the time as well, and could still hold their own today.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)