Re: [OM] from "SALE" to "AUCTION"; what is mint?; camera bags

Subject: Re: [OM] from "SALE" to "AUCTION"; what is mint?; camera bags
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Nov 1998 11:20:08 +1000
PCACala@xxxxxxx moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> Geesh, I wish some folks would get over that idea.  It doesn't work in
> cybercommerce.  One can't waste the time offering less because someone
> offering what is being asked will more than likely beat you to the first legit
> offer.  When I offer something through Internet channels, 800f the time it
> sells at what I've priced it at.  And 500f the time it sells in a day.  I
> get disgusted when I get a discounted offer hours after something goes up for
> sale.  My advise is that if you know an item is fresh, don't dilly dally
> around with a counteroffer - or you will likely loose out!

Yep.  First time I sold a camera on Usenet I had three offers at
my (optimistic) asking price in hours.

When the second bidder found out they'd lost they offered 20% more.  I
politely declined and sold at the original price to the first bidder.

I still (12 months later!) get a letter or more a month asking if I've
sold that item yet.

cjb.

--
 ------------------ Linux hackers do it in protected mode -------------------
 | Christopher Biggs - Software Engineer, Stallion Technologies, Australia  |