Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98

Subject: Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:32:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Dan Lau wrote:

> Two questions, Doris:
>
> 1) What do you do for a living again?

  I have already mentioned what I do for a living. Look through the
archives...seems a little personal/intrusive (in fact, this whole post
did, though I am sure I'm misreading it).

>    From your message, either you
>    do "garage sailing" full time or you are into "socio archaeology",

    Neither. If you read the post (and my many other g-sales posts)
you'd know it is strictly a saturday morning thing. I start early, and it
is over by 9:30-10:30. By that time I will have gone to as many as 30
sales. Some are drive-byes. Others I just walk through in a minute or two.

>    when do you find time to take pictures :-).

   Probably when you do. :-)

> 2) What do you do with all the bargains that you have collected?

  MINE, all mine...just kidding. As you might imagine, I accumulate too
much stuff (though I pass up tons more. If I were commercially minded, I'd
be buying with that in mind.). I have students in dire need of
equipment, and many friends. Plus I look for odd stuff for a few friends,
as they would and have done for me.

  Are
>    you buying all the Olympus equipment for your own use or would
>    you be willing to share some of them with the list (with a
>    commission, of course).

    Wow, how generous, a commission...please do not be offended, but what
I do on sat mornings is hard work. Let's say I find a perfect Kodak
projector for $10 (happens, I have two LNIB), it's not worth the little
time you're so concerned about me having in my life to box it, and mail it
for $5-10. I can sell it here in hours for 20%
      less than B&H used, and
everyone walks away grinning.

  I seem to remember that you gave away
>    (some) 50/1.8 lens(es) that needed work.

  Sure did.

>  But what about more significant bargains like OM bodies?

 Stray tuned, you never know. But hey...why don't YOU get your keyster up
at 4:45, do the sales wherever you live, and write me what whatever YOU
might have for trade, or 10ommission ?
                                               *= Doris Fang =*