Re[2]: [OM] Re: Syquest Sparq

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Re: Syquest Sparq
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:37:02 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:38:20 -0500, John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx> jammed
all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> Wow!  Thank you for all "dat" info.  Maybe I'll  just upgrade my hard drive.
> Jees, 10.0 gig Western Digital for $259 or  something like that and
> I've read that Western is one of the easiest to install & get
> running.

Generally, with EIDE, a new drive is pretty easy to set up and get
running. If it's the second on an EIDE bus, you need to change one
jumper on the drive (move it from "master" to "slave"). If you're
swapping out a drive, it's more complex to move the whole operating
system intact, and for large (over 2GB) drives under Windows, you need
to know a bit about partitioning and/or FAT32. Only a handful of things,
really, and I'm well versed in all this, if there's ever a question (
computers were my second passion after photography, I started when I was
12, and have managed to make a living with them, which sure beats the
window washing I did to fund my second and third lens and Winder 1).

>  Now someone can answer this and tell me how bad Western Digital is!
> ;-)

Actually, they have a fine reputation, they're a popular OEM drive (eg,
lots of computer ship with them), etc. The Maxtors are a tad faster at
the same speed, the Quantums a tad cheaper (though I've had mixed
results with Quantums lately, and I know a few administrator types who
refuse to use them in critical machines). Get at least a 5400 RPM drive
for EIDE or UltraDMA (they're effectively the identical, hype aside) --
some of the Quantums, otherwise a good deal, are slower (especially
BigFoot drives, at around 4000RPM). Not as critical for storing scans as
the sound recording or video I've sometimes been involved with, but for
a difference of a few dollars at best, you'll appreciate the faster
drives.

Right now, I have two Maxtors, a Western Digital, a Quantum, and a
Samsung in my two main computers. Somewhere in my lab there's probably
at least one of just about everything else...
--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One