Re: [OM] improved lenses?; slide projector lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] improved lenses?; slide projector lenses
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 00:44:38 EST
William writes:

> For over 20 years, I've been bugging Burt Keppler to test projector
>  lenses. He says there isn't enough interest to justify it.

There was a projector lens test published in either Modern or Popular
Photography at the time that Curved Field lenses were introduced.  I recall
that it showed the superiority of the Leitz Colorplan over the Ektanar
projection lenses.  I'm delighted with the quality of the Rollei-Vario-Projar
on my Rollei P 37.  There is is AV Projar line that is claimed to be premium
performance.

I had a previous employer buy me a 1 1/2" Navitar for use in aerial photo
interpretation of 35mm aerial photographs.  I found it sharper than Kodak's
shortest lens (2 1/2"?), but with pronounced curvature of field.  I was
forever refocusing to evaluate the outer 1/2 of the field.

The owner of Kx Repair in Santa Barbara, CA, who specializes in projector
repairs, tells me that the 100 to 150mm Ektanar FF is the jewel among the
Kodak slide projection lenses, even over the fixed focus ones.  He also
advised me that my long standing desire to have a Colorplan would be
impossible in a Kodak projector, despite availability in the same focusing
tube.  It won't focus.

Gary Reese
on the road in Phoenix, AZ