Re[2]: [OM] Glue for Leatherette (was "Garage sailing 11/28/98")

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Glue for Leatherette (was "Garage sailing 11/28/98")
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:15:11 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:36:03 -0500 (EST), *- DORIS FANG -*
<sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard
remarking:

> Greetings from the technically challenged...
> On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> > I recollect that John H. recommended plain old contact cement for the
> > leatherette.

>   Now, for the really dumb question: How does one hold down the flared-out
> part of the leatherette so that the glue can do its thing ? Without me
> having to hold it for hours....:-)

The idea behind contact cement is that, when used correctly, it bonds
instantly (well, as well as it'll ever bond -- your mileage may vary).
You need to follow the directions: thinly coat both surfaces and allow
it to dry for 10-15 minutes. This gets the glue set up to make that
bond. At this point, you have to be careful, you only get one chance to
make the bond, no time to reposition it.

This is why contact cement is usually recommended. Also, it doesn't get
brittle over time (in theory anyway), so it should be stand up better to
regular abuse.

I have used both contact cement and a substance called Urethane Bond.
The Urethane Bond is virtually indestructable and still flexible once it
sets up, probably better if you have a way to clamp the leatherette in
place. If not, use contact cement (my OM-4 is overdue for just such a
surgery, in fact).

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One