Re: [OM] Online auction editorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Online auction editorial
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:10:09 EST
In a message dated 12/1/98 2:40:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< However, if you argue that "but if they had outbid
 me sooner then I could have bettered my offer" then you obviously didn't
 originally bid for the maximum amount you were willing to pay.  I feel
 your frustration (believe me, I've lost out to lots of nice items this
 way), but I've come to realize I can't have it both ways.  I either
 place the max bid that I am willing to pay and not worry if I get
 outbid, or I bid in the last minute or two to make sure no "money
 grubbing scum" has a chance to do to me what was done to you and has
 been done to me too often in the past.  Sometimes, you have to fight
 fire with fire. >>

Well said. After I find something I want, my approach has always been to sit
tight for the first few days, agonizing over how much I am willing to pay
versus how much I can afford. When I finally make that decision, I place the
bid as late as is convenient to me, which is usually in the evening, and go to
bed. If the bidding is already over my price, I just go to bed and don't worry
about it. Then I check in the morning to see who won...

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI