Re: [OM] Online auction editorial

Subject: Re: [OM] Online auction editorial
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 00:39:52 EST

<< I don't believe I was ranting, but I was dissapointed. I was emphasizing an
 underhanded
 technique, and I still think it's underhanded.

Assume that both yourself and the secret last minute bidder both want to pay
max $100 for a lens but because you want a good deal (who doesn't) you only
bid $75. If you place your bid early and the bids only go up to $75 because no
one else wants to outbid $75 at that moment, you will lose to the last minute
secret bidder.  If you had bid the maximum you wanted to pay, ie. $100, you
would have won because the tie goes to the earlier bidder for the same amount.
I alway bid the minimum increment above a round number just in case this
happens.
I just checked the old auctions and one 50/3.5 was bought at $125.  Three
others were "Reserve Not Met" at $103.50, $101.00 and $148.50. There are two
more now available (a veritable glut) at $118 and $100 (small dent), with 2
days and 19 hours left, respectively. I would say go for it.

Warren Kato