Re: [OM] Glue for Leatherette (was "Garage sailing 11/28/98")

Subject: Re: [OM] Glue for Leatherette (was "Garage sailing 11/28/98")
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:31:07 -0800
>From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
>> I recollect that John H. recommended plain old contact cement for the
>> leatherette.
>  Now, for the really dumb question: How does one hold down the flared-out
>part of the leatherette so that the glue can do its thing ? Without me
>having to hold it for hours....:-)

The beauty of contact cement is that it sticks "on contact," so you don't
have to hold it down.

(Of course, the pain of contact cement is that it sticks "on contact," so
if you get it mis-aligned, there's no chance of re-positioning... :-)

Contact cement is spread on both surfaces, then allowed to dry. Then the
two pieces are carefully aligned, and stuck together, followed by some
pressure to stick everything tight.

For camera leatherette, I'd clean and coat the body and the leatherette,
then carefully align and stick the longest edge, then roll the leatherette
on from that edge.

If you haven't worked with contact cement, you should practice on some
similar materials before doing the real thing. It isn't hard once you get
used to it, but you can make a real mess if you're not careful!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229