Re: [OM] Vivitar 285 fill flash question

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 285 fill flash question
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:47:03 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Frank Costa wrote:

>     I was considering getting a hold of one of these revered (though large I
> take it) Vivitar 285 flash, mainly because it seems a good choice for fill.
> My main question is this:
>
>  Can I use the 285 flash at less then full power (1/2,1/4 and so on)
while in auto mode, and the flash will cut off power at the fraction I
 choose? Or is variable power only available in manual?

  In auto mode, the flash simply reaches quench level ("proper" exposure),
and stops. At maximum distance (or with a very dark background --- which
would fool your sensor), it might expend a full charge. The Power ratios
that you mention work in manual (if my 285s are like others). Trust me on
this: learn to use fill-flash on manual, and you will never regret it,
specially with slide film. Test, test, test, before going out on a shoot.

                                              *= Doris Fang =*