[OM] fill-in flash

Subject: [OM] fill-in flash
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 06:19:11 -0800
> I was considering getting ahold of a Vivitar 285 flash, mainly because it
> seems a good choice for fill. Can I use the flash at less than full power
> (1/2, 1/4 and so on) while in auto mode, and the flash will cut off power
> at the fraction I choose? Or is variable power only available in manual?

Variable-power flash is normally used only in manual mode. However...

You can achieve the same effect in auto mode by changing the aperture
setting on the flash WITHOUT changing the aperture on the camera. For
example...

Suppose you've set the camera and the flash to f/8 for auto-flash
exposure. If you then move the aperture selector on the flash to f/5.6
(but leave the camera at f/8), you will get half the autoflash exposure.
The camera will automatically change its shutter speed, leaving the
ambient exposure unchanged.

Note that the sensor in the flash will add the ambient light to the
flash. You might need to experiment to see which settings give the
effects you want.