[OM] E-bay bargains

Subject: [OM] E-bay bargains
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 07:04:04 -0700
        Getting exceptional  bargains on quality Oly gear (or most
anything) via E-bay is a low probability event.  Exceptional bargains, when
found,  at garage sales or flea markets usually are due to the seller not
knowing what something is worth and having a limited number of
knowledgeable buyers.  These conditions are infrequently met on E-bay.
There is such a large pool of bidders that it is unlikely that there will
be no knowledgeable ones or none willing to pay top dollar for the
convenience of locating something easily.  As a result things frequently
sell for more than they would by any other legitimate means.  This is free
enterprise capitalism.  I suggest that in general selling prices will be at
or above the mean that would have been achieved via other means.  There is
convenience and exposure to goods that might not otherwise be achieved
without huge expenditures of personal effort and that is worth something.
        I am reminded of the cowboy who drew his week's pay and was
preparing to ride into town to gamble at the saloon's roulette wheel when
the ranch boss asked if he wasn't aware that the wheel was rigged (crooked,
cheating).  As the cowboy turned his horse about and started to town he
called back, "yeah, I know, but it is the only wheel in town!"

Good luck,

Patrick