Re: [OM] Leica and Oly

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica and Oly
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 06:16:40 EST
Hi Denton:

> I happen to have both the Oly 50 2.0 macro, and the latest Summicron-M 50
>  2.0. I think this weekend I'll try to do a little comparison...

Super duper.  I'm looking forward to that.  You might want to try shooting a
flare test, since the Zuiko has half the flare of the 1984 vintage Summicron-
R: 0.45% vs. 0.95%

To Anyone:

Meanwhile, I think I detected a difference in lens testing parameters for
Popular Photography from the 1970's to the 1980's.  In the 70's they were
using "Percent Contrast at 50 line pairs per mm."  That changed to "Percent
Contrast of a 0.01mm slit image."  Now that seems to me to be about them same
- given a width of 0.01mm between line pairs, BUT the bars showing the range
of reported values are different between the two decades.  In practical terms,
the 1970's lens tests had slightly higher numbers.  Bottomline: tests are not
comparable between the two techniques.

Best I recall, the slit image test was transmitted light.  I presume the
earlier testing was reflected light?  If so, that is a big difference in
technique.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV