Re:DIY(was Film Labs (was [OM] metering/Latitude))

Subject: Re:DIY(was Film Labs (was [OM] metering/Latitude))
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 08:28:49 -0800
On 5 Dec 98, at 22:13, BILL F BROOKS wrote:

> Hi All, Shawn/Janis,
>
> Well, I think I'm going to take the plunge and start rolling and washing
> my own BW stuff...showed the better half the math and by X-Mas will have
> a bulk loader and some Ilford HP-5 >;) better yet  will have a Beseler
> tank and some Diafine to get a hold of those rolls I insist on pushing
> >;)>;)
Great! You won't regret it!
One thing to remember about bulk rolled film - when you load the rolls, the
*last* frame or two will be exposed (unless you do every roll in darkness).
Not a big deal, but if you are approaching the last frame when shooting, it's
better to rewind the film and start a new roll, rather than risk losing that
last
shot.

>  I won't have an enlarger for some time and am wondering what kind of
> light source would be suitable for making proof sheets(contact sheets)?
> I can rig up something out of glass and wood that will hold the film
> against the paper, but don't know what kind of light/time needs to be
> applied to the emulsion sandwich to make it work.  Any help of any sort
> will be appreciated.

I'd start with a 40 or 60W bulb in an adjustable desk lamp - something which
you can direct the light with. Then add a diffuser of some type over the lamp
and suspend it above the work area. Add a toggle or push button switch for
quick time control and you're set.
I would guess that ~5 secs. with a 40w bulb at 2-3' above the paper would be
a good start. Any less than 5 seconds is too hard to repeat accurately by
hand, so increase distance/reduce bulb size if needed.
The trick with contact sheets is to get the film base between frames to
appear as black as the area between film strips on the paper. I also try to
print my contact sheets at grade 1 or less on MC paper, which allows you to
see more detail when proofing. You can simulate this with a yellow filter over
the light source.

Have fun!
Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx