[OM] Local Flea Market

Subject: [OM] Local Flea Market
From: "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 00:17:05 -0600
    Well, there was a photo flea market held Saturday Dec. 5 here in
Birmingham, Alabama. I thought I'd give a short report of the event.
    A small venue as it turned out, maybe twenty tables and a dozen
vendors, including the "test your camera here" guys. This was fortunate
since the whole event was crammed into to two small dining rooms at a
local Holiday Inn. The $4.25 admission was steep but I forked it over
anyway, thinking only of the bargains to be had. Fortunately the crowd
was sightly smaller than the aisles were wide. Only enough room for two
people to pass each other comfortably add in a third person standing at
a table and the space got tight!
    Olympus and Zuiko pickings were rather slim only three vendors had
any stock to offer, although a couple of others said they had some but
did not bring the items with them. I saw only one OM-1n (black body)
priced at $205.00, a couple of OM-2n's priced between $250.00 and
$295.00 One OM-2S with the proud price of $395.00 and a couple of
OM-10's ( No manual adapters) $115.00 & $140.00 and one OM-88 about
$175.00. Did I mention that these were bodies only!! Cosmetically they
looked good (little brassing and no dings). All needed new foam and
probably should be checked out. Especially the OM-88, it made some weird
noises when I advanced the film lever and fired the shutter. So doing
the math I passed them all by. Apparently the word has spread that the
OM-1 series with their lock-up mirrors are becoming the camera of choice
with the astro-photography group; that may be fueling the price hikes
among bodies?  Maybe it will convince Olympus to start producing them
again, maybe??
    Lenses were also slim pickings a few 50/1.8 & 1.4's $40.00 and up. A
single 28/3.5 for 75.00 (too much), a single 200/4 for $150.00 (good
price, lousy glass). And couple of 135/3.5 for $45.00 & $65.00. I picked
up the $45.00 one (nice lens, e.zuiko auto-T 135/3.5).
    Accesories pickings were also relatively slim, with one exception,
Caps. Lots of caps for all manufacturers available for $3.00 a pop. It
was like digging through the scavenged remains of countless dead bodies
and lenses, eerie sort of. Also lots of filters available in all sizes,
effects and colors.
    Finally, I did run across a couple of really good bargains, a shoe-4
for $15.00 (no cracks), an extension tube set 7,14 & 25mm Non-Oly (mint)
for 20.00 and an Olympus 2x teleconverter ex+ for $15.00
(Heh,Heh,Heh...). All in all a hundred or so bucks spent. I'm happy. I
hope my girlfriend  likes the lady schick I got her for Christmas.

- Charles

Some thoughts on buying used equipment:
    Learned common sense:
        Add in the cost of overhauling any camera body you might buy. It
might teach you patience while looking for a real bargain.
        Putting your hands on the equipment and testing it before
committing to a purchase is always better than buying it blind. (Caveat
Emptor).
        Always be polite and business-like, that's your hard earned cash
you're spending.
        Always ask for a money-back guarantee in writing, include a
written assessment of the item. Meaning record any dings, scratches,
blemishes affecting the item.
        If it doesn't go your way just walk away. This can sometimes
work to your advantage. Come back at the end of the day. If the item is
still there make another offer the seller might go for it.

    If bidding on ebay or other online auctions, ALWAYS:
        Contact the seller directly ask for serial numbers, ask for a
second description of the item, pictures, a refund policy.
        Not to knock the US Postal Service, too badly, Ask the seller to
ship UPS. The package will arrive in better condition most times.
        Spend time looking at the list of availble items, mark your
choices and then spend some time researching a good selling price for
the item.
        Be patient, when the auction ends, then its over, not before.
        Lastly and most importantly! There is a lot of stuff out there.
If an item passes you by, another will surely come along soon.
        TIP: If you had your eye on an item and it went to someone else.
Drop the seller an email asking him/her to contact you if the sale
doesn't go through.

    Personal prefernces for buying anything.
        Authorized dealer.
        Someone I know personally or has been recommended by several
people/customers.
        Someone I don't know.

        Of the four items I've bought on ebay. (Two from private
sellers, two from businesses) The sellers were prompt, courteous and
willing to accomodate my shipping needs. Also,the one time I returned an
item, the (private) seller was understanding and promptly returned my
money (less shipping of course).