Re: [OM] response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] response to my filter questions....
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:37:26 -0500 (EST)
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, R. Lee Hawkins wrote:

> My mileage certainly did.  Just after getting my OM-4, I went on a trip
> to Chile.  I dutifully spot-metered about 750f my shots using a linear
> polarizer.  Almost every one of those shots was 1-3 stops overexposed,
> and all are of course irreplaceable.

  Geez, Lee...irreplaceable shots, and you did not bracket ? What if the
processor's chemistry was a bit "hot" that day, temperature or run-wise ?
Or your shutter fast/slow ?
What if the emulsion was a bit off ? All of this can and does happen.
A third of a stop easily can result. When
it counts, BRACKET!! When it is REALLY important, BLH (bracket like hell)
and get it on two different cameras/rolls. Do not send them all in at the
same time. Wait to see how the first set comes out. If it is E-6 you may
have the option of doing a clip test & pushing/pulling it.

  My advice since that unfortunate
> episode is "if you are going to use a spot meter, get a circular
> polarizer, and throw all your linear polarizers away."

   Sell them. Lots of people out there who will buy them. Why waste them ?
Besides, they'll make ideal stocking stuffers for list members with Om-1s.

  It really
> bothers me that people continue to say "awww, you really don't need a
> circular polarizer."  If you are going to use the spot meter, you do.
> Period.  End of discussion!

  I agree with Lee, if you're using the in-camera meter, get a circular
pola screen. Sheesh.

                                *= Doris Fang =*