Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 21:51:53 -0600
>Now I must say, I find the idea of bracketing to be wasteful and definitely
>not in line with the minimalist thinking approach that an OM body
>encourages. What's the point of having a sophisticated spot metering system
>if one resorts to the spray-and-pray style of photography? May as well get
>a Nikon or Canon auto-everything!

It really comes down to a very basic principle:  KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT AND
FILM!  Being off on exposure a bit because of using the wrong type of
polorizer is simply inexcusable.  I also doubt that the exposures were off
by JUST 1/3 stop because depending on the slide film, it just might improve
matters slightly!  They were probably off by as much as 2-stops in some
instances.  (yes, I've been there, done that).

Bracketing in a spray-and-pray style?  Yup, been there done that too, but
usually in extreme lighting conditions or in product shoots.  In the
extreme lighting conditions (such as sunset/sunrise or harsh lighting) I
usually end up using either or both +/- 1 stop brackets and rarely the
"proper" one.

Irreplaceable images?  If I'm shooting something that I KNOW is going to be
a $1500+ picture, I always bracket, shoot dupes and sometimes even go with
different rolls in different cameras.  Average joe pictures don't warrent
much beyond a single horizontal and vertical.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx