RE: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: RE: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: Steve Worner <SWorner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:39:21 +0800
Ken,

I've recently made the point on the list that Canon pretty much sewn up the
professional market now - probably unthinkable five or so years ago when the
Nikon F4 and previously the F3 were the 'workhorses' for international press
work. Go to any world sporting championship (as I've done several times this
past year) or look at a presidential media conference (or war zone) on CNN
and it's now 90% Canon. It's a 'working' camera for working photographers -
that's what you pay your money for.

Steve

The Olympus system was argueably the finest professional SLR system of the
'70's and early '80's.  Nikon was way too "industrial" to be elegant.
Canon was rather hit-and-miss during that time too.  Minolta was actually a
serious contender along with Pentax.  It was an exciting time to be a
photographer as each system had clear advantages and target users.  But for
the serious photo-journalist, Leica was still the "standard" but was losing
ground fast.