Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:39:57 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:08:00 EST you write:

>On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, R. Lee Hawkins wrote:
>
>> Finally, you can only have a roll "pulled" if you know in advance that
>> there is a problem.
>
>  If you have a 2nd roll in reserve (from a 2nd body), you still have
>options. The lab can burn down, your shutter can go blooey, UPS can lose
>it, the technician can blunder, etc. (Anyone remember Capa's D-Day pics ?)

Doris:
Exactly how many times in your photographic career have any of these
things happened?  In over 20 years of photography, I've lost one roll
due to lab accidents, and that was a roll that I needed pushed.  The
shots weren't critical, so it was no big deal.  If lab accidents
happened every day (which you seem to imply is very common), then of
course I would be more careful.  But it is not my experience that they
do.  At some point the extra overhead of worrying about these things
over a number of years (when they have only happened to me once in 20+)
takes more time than one lost roll of photos are worth.  On the other
hand, the screw up with the polarizer was my fault, and I have no one
else to blame for that.  And remember, my photos are mine alone... I
don't generally sell my images, so "irreplacable" to me means they were
taken in locations I'll not likely get to again.

Cheers,
--Lee