Re: [OM] f/2 vs. f/2.8 primes.......

Subject: Re: [OM] f/2 vs. f/2.8 primes.......
From: Jim Loudon <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 10:14:36 -0500
> Jim - what is the "photographer side" 2 cameras 4 lenses -
> what 4 lenses for traveling?

At the time (more on this in a bit), it was a pair of OM-2
bodies, and the following Zuikos:  21 f/3.5, 35 f/2.8,
50 f/3.5 macro, and the 75-150 f/4 zoom.  I also carried an
XA and a T-20 flash.  This all fit into a Lowe Orion bag which
fit easily into the bottom of my backpack (when I wanted a
little extra security, otherwise the Orion was carried outside
the backpack in the conventional manner).  This essentially
amounted to all of the photographic equipment I owned at the
time.

I kept one body loaded with Kodachrome 64 and the other
with High Speed Ektachrome (hideous stuff, but there were
times when I needed the extra speed).  This also should
give you a general idea as to what era we're talking about :-)

Fast-forward a few years...

I took two semi-photo-related trips by air this year, one to
southern California (I sat out Super Bowl weekend in Joshua
Tree National Park :-) ) and the other to England and Scotland.
The Nikon went with me to California; the Olympus to the UK.  The
reasons for choosing one system over the other for the particular
destination are a little involved, but let's just say that there
was a _lot_ more room available for camera gear on the California
junket.

The Nikon setup consisted of an N2020 body and 24-50 f/3.3-4.5
and 70-210 f/4 (constant aperture; I love this lens) AF Nikkors.
I inherited my uncle's ancient Nikon gear, and wanted something
compatible with both MF (AI and non-AI) and AF lenses, hence
the N2020 (the F4 was out of the question, cost-wise).  I know
Shawn has commented here about some negative experiences with the
N2020, but that hasn't been my experience, fortunately.

The Olympus setup was a single OM-2n and the 21 f/3.5 and
35 f/2.8 Zuikos and a Tamron 70-210 f/4-5.6 minizoom.  This
setup, body and lenses, plus a T-20 flash and a few rolls of
film, all fits into a "medium" (their term, not mine) Sundog
zoom bag (by contrast, I can only get the N2020 and the short
zoom into this same bag; my long Nikkor zoom won't fit at all!).

This Olympus configuration is my current preferred "travel"
setup, and the one I would take if I were headed back to Nepal
tomorrow (it probably won't happen until late fall 2000, though).
I suspect I'd also want to take a second body, for a "just in
case" type of situation...I also suspect I'd bracket exposures
once or twice on a trip like that :-)

jim