Re: [OM]80mm macro question

Subject: Re: [OM]80mm macro question
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:22:10 EST
Hi Sara and welcome to the list.
I will try to add a little to what Jan has already stated.
Comments below:

jans@xxxxxxxxxxx writes
<< >From: sara <sara.laitinen@xxxxxx>
 >... Does the 80mm f4 macro deliver sharper pictures than Tamron when
 >most shots are taken at 1:1-1:2 ratios?
 I can't speak for the Tamron, but the Zuiko 80/4 is optimized for 1:1
 operation, unlike most other lenses that merely allow you to focus that
 close. For example, the Zuiko 50/3.5 macro is optimized for a 1:10
 reproduction ratio.

Snip!
Like Jan, I have no experience with the Tamron.  I do have a Vivitar Series 1
90mm that is excellent at 1/2x mag. but with the 1x adapter it does not fair
so well.
I ran a test a few months ago at 1/2x mag with several combinations of lenses
with extension and 2X teleconverter.  The conclusion I made was; nothing
compared with the 80mm & 135mm macro lenses.  While looking at an uncut slide
strip on the light table, these two lenses stood out against all others.  The
others included both 50mm's f3.5 & f2.0, 200 f4 and 135 f2.8 & f3.5, the 85 f2
& 100 f2.8 with 2x converter & ext. and the Vivitar 90mm.
I would gamble that if you are looking for the "Best" there is at 1/2x and 1x
mag., the 80mm would beat anything on the market.

 >What kind of working distances
 >does it provide and is my T28 twin-flash usable with this lens??
 It does not operate without some extension. At 1:1, it allows about 50mm or
 so of working distance -- 80mm from the nodal point, less the length of the
 lens. If you like, I can measure and give you an exact distance. It should
 work fine with the T28.: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx> >>

Snip!
As far as working distance:
Jan may be correct on the distance from the "Nodal Point" because I have no
idea what a nodal point of a lens is.  I even had to look it up in the
dictionary and still don't know.
So these working distances are from the front of the lens as OLY puts it.
80mm @ 1/2x mag = 20.3 cm (for us USA folks approx. 8 inches)
80mm @ 1x mag = 12.3 cm (almost 5 inches)
In case your are not aware, a special close up lens is available which
increases the mag to 2x and the working distance drops to approx. 2.5 inches.
The T28 twin will work great with the 80mm on TTL Auto.  But, the charts for
manual show it to be a little to strong even at the lower power setting and
f32.  I personally like the T10 a little better for 1x mag work.
I am not sure if your Tamron has a tripod collar.  But the 65-116 Auto Tube
does, and with the 80mm Macro and a good focusing rail you have a great setup.
If you decide to invest in the OLY gear I am confident you will not regret it.
Good Luck and send some insect pics to Garth's web page.
Buddy Walters