Re: [OM] Best six dollars I spent in a long time! No OM content

Subject: Re: [OM] Best six dollars I spent in a long time! No OM content
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:08:46 -0800
<<Yup, they are quite inspirational.  Other places to view them is Best
Studio
in Yosemite Valley, CA and the Wilderness Society headquarters in
Washington,
D.C.  For a real treat, read a biography on Ansel, like Nancy Newhall's
Eloquent Light, then view the old family snapshots at Best's Studio, then
sit
on the front porch.  One can almost see Virginia Best and Ansel in their
courtship years.  (Nope I wasn't on drugs).  It was simply a very moving
visit
after so many years of studying his life and teaching photography students
about him.>>

I fear we are going to start an Ansel Adams thread with this but here goes.
As much as I admire Adams and his work as a photographer and a savior of
National Parks , I don't care much for following his techniques.
Now don't read that wrong, I do believe in his zone system and all that.
I just would not want to do it myself. Or maybe I am just not talented
enough!

If you do your own processing of B&W, Just expose for the shadows and
develop for the highlights.  If you bracket a little you would have it.
(easy in 35mm)
"
Much of his effect was created in the darkroom.  Look at "Moonlight over
......."
(I forgot the town) it was in the exhibit.  That sure wasn't a straight
print.

Can you imagine Ansel Adams bracketing 2 shots under and 2 shots over with
an
8x10 Deardorf?  He would have needed another mule to carry the extra film
holders!

Charlie

Charles Loeven
cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx