Re: [OM] Info on OLY MPUS ES-10 scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Info on OLY MPUS ES-10 scanner
From: e3ujxj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Joe X. Jackson)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:34:00 -1247554 (EST)

> Does anybody on the list use the Olympus ES-10 slide scanner ?
> I am interested to know how good it is compared to the Nikon,
> Minolta,Hewlett Packard scanners.It's a real bargain in my neck
> of the woods at the moment---=A3199 pounds str.

i would be interested in this as well. i've been arguing with
myself over this scanner for several weeks. i was torn between it
and the minolta dimage dual. (pardon me, but is it customary to
spell that "min*lta"?) i've seen good and bad comments about both
scanners...with the hardware comments favoring the minolta and
the software comments STRONGLY favoring the olympus. i finally
took the plunge and got the minolta. i have no idea how it compares
to the oly, but i should be in a position to give my subjective
opinion in a week or so.

the minolta appears to have higher native resolution, but of
course that's really worthless if higher noise levels cancel that
out. the negative comments about the minolta seem to be centered
on the difficulty of properly configuring the software...it is a
SCSI scanner, so for most people the chore of installing this scanner
is combined with installing SCSI in the PC, which may have something
to do with the negative comments. i have a mac, so it shouldn't be
an issue for me.

anyway, i'll stop babbling. when i have some kind of real experience,
i can report? anybody with experience with the ES-10, please let us
know how you like it. if the minolta doesn't work out, i can always
switch.

--
                                   | Napoleon wore a black hat
                       joe jackson | Ate lots of chicken