Re: [OM] Deutschland, uber alles!

Subject: Re: [OM] Deutschland, uber alles!
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 02:59:18 +0200
Hello Mahlon,

I live in Dortmund in the ruhr area or ruhr district, which is surely not
an attraction for an international tourist. But nevertheless, there are
lovely places, too. From here I often travel north to the so called
Muensterland with the central town Muenster, at the moment known because of
the european peace treaty from 1648 (Westfaelischer Frieden), but except
for the so called "Prinzipal Markt" with Renaissance buildings restored
after the second world war and the Dom there are view attractions, too. In
the Muensterland there are many of little castles of different ages with
fosses filled with water. When I want to visit a "world town" from here, I
have to go to Cologne at least. Then the next I imagine is surpringly not a
German town, but Amsterdam. I was born in "Wertheim am Main", through which
the river Tauber flows. The Tauber flows up the river through the previous
mentioned town "Rothenburg ob der Tauber". The inner city of this town is
in fact like a museum of an old German town, every business there has to
use iron plates. It is really lovely, but I think taking pictures there as
examples for typical old German cities is a little bit like taking animal
photos in the zoo (which is not a crime). Further here in Germany there are
many interesting landscapes, for example the river valleys of rhine, Main,
Mosel and so on or "middle mountains" like the Black Forrest. In the north
of Germany there are also interesting towns, first Hamburg. I wish you a
good time in Germany,
Matthias