Re: [OM] Best six dollars I spent in a long time! No OM content

Subject: Re: [OM] Best six dollars I spent in a long time! No OM content
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:30:18 -0600
Charlie, I am so glad that you mentioned this on the list.

I was also in St. Pete on Thur. and Fri. and found myself with a couple of
hours to kill at the end of the day Fri. before I had to chase airplanes.
Thanks to your note, I found out about the exhibit.

Adams' prints were actually only two in number in this exhibit, I believe,
but what a sample!  "Moonrise, Hernandez, NM" and "Clearing Winter Storm"
are spectacular in their own right in books, but difficult to truely
appreciate unless you see them in print form, the way Adams intended them
to be seen.   Now that I've seen them in the gel (so to speak) in 16 x 20
size, "Clearing Winter Storm" now strikes me as perhaps a bit busy (there's
an awful lot going on in the print) but "Moonrise" is bloody perfect.  I
must have sat in front of "Moonrise" for a good half hour, just letting my
eyes wander over it.  OK, I'm nuts now; I want an 8 x 10 view camera too!
Plus a collection of Sherpas (actually a Ford Explorer will do) to drag it
all around for me!

I unfortunately don't recall the names of the other photographers in the O'
Keeffe exhibit (besides Todd Webb, which make up the bulk of the
photography), but they're worth seeing as well.  Indeed, there are even
some color prints in the exhibit of the dye-transfer variety, which
technology I had never seen before.  Now I understand why it has its
devotees.

Finally, let's not forget the main event: the 14 O'Keeffe oils, one
scupture, one water color (very early, that) and even a print of
Stieglitz's "Steerage".  Stunning!  This one's a must see, if you're even
remotely in the area.

Needless to say, I'm going back to work on my new darkroom set-up tomorrow
morning, bright 'n' early!

M.