Re: [OM] Re: Moonrise, Hernandez (was "Best six dollars" etc.)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Moonrise, Hernandez (was "Best six dollars" etc.)
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:35:14 +0200
Hello Joel,

You wrote:

>I really think it is very difficult to achieve fine art quality B&W in the
>35mm format, at least when your main favored subjects are landscapes.  I
>didn't have the dough to make the leap to MF, so I just stayed with slides.

I think that the advantage of the medium format is greater in colour slides
than in black and white. If you extend the 35mm format, the results in
black and white can be great, for example if you use modern films with
t-crystals or the kodak technical pan as picture film (there are special
developers to achieve pictures from this document film). The technical pan
is not available for medium format, I think. Then for landscapes you should
use a tripod and middle apertures for both 35mm and medium format. The
results of the two formats can be very similar then, but have you ever seen
a slide show in medium format? You may think you stay in the scene.
Matthias