Re: [OM] Best six dollars I spent in a long time! No OM content

Subject: Re: [OM] Best six dollars I spent in a long time! No OM content
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:59:40 -0800
mahlon;

mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx wrote:

> Charlie, I am so glad that you mentioned this on the list.
>
> I was also in St. Pete on Thur. and Fri. and found myself with a couple of
> hours to kill at the end of the day Fri. before I had to chase airplanes.
> Thanks to your note, I found out about the exhibit.
>
> Adams' prints were actually only two in number in this exhibit, I believe,
> but what a sample!  "Moonrise, Hernandez, NM" and "Clearing Winter Storm"
> are spectacular in their own right in books, but difficult to truely
> appreciate unless you see them in print form, the way Adams intended them
> to be seen.   Now that I've seen them in the gel (so to speak) in 16 x 20
> size, "Clearing Winter Storm" now strikes me as perhaps a bit busy (there's
> an awful lot going on in the print) but "Moonrise" is bloody perfect.

Yes, I agree. It is spectacular.  I saw an Adams print of it once that
must have been 40x60 inches - and it suffered little.

> must have sat in front of "Moonrise" for a good half hour, just letting my
> eyes wander over it.  OK, I'm nuts now; I want an 8 x 10 view camera too!
> Plus a collection of Sherpas (actually a Ford Explorer will do) to drag it
> all around for me!
>
> I unfortunately don't recall the names of the other photographers in the O'
> Keeffe exhibit (besides Todd Webb, which make up the bulk of the
> photography), but they're worth seeing as well.

I've never heard of Todd Webb. I'll have to keep my eyes open for his
work.

  Indeed, there are even
> some color prints in the exhibit of the dye-transfer variety, which
> technology I had never seen before.  Now I understand why it has its
> devotees.

Dye transfer prints can be exquisite.  They are about 6 times harder and
more expensive than Cibas, and the results ARE better.  BUT Kodak has
discontinued the process.  There is one small company which picked it
up, so you can still get the stuff.  But the only dye transfer printer I
know, Charlie Cramer, from whom I learned much of what I know about
contrast reduction masking, has gone ... digital!!??  He's now drum
scanning his 4x5s doing the Photoshop dance and having them printed by
one of the remarkably inexpensive digital houses.  I'm going to invest a
coule hundred $$ and give this a try myself and will post my experiences
here if any one is interested.

> Finally, let's not forget the main event: the 14 O'Keeffe oils, one
> scupture, one water color (very early, that) and even a print of
> Stieglitz's "Steerage".  Stunning!  This one's a must see, if you're even
> remotely in the area.

I love G O'Keefe's work.  Just LOVE it.  Has anyone seen the video tape
titled, I think, "Ansel Adams, Photographer" ??  It is definitely worth
getting.  (Drop a hint to your SO for the holidays)  It's a bit about
Ansel and his life and photography starring AA himself.  I like to watch
it before I go on a photo hunt for inspiration.  There is a brief scene
at Georgia's home where the two of them are reminiscing a bit.  It's not
very profound, but it's quite a trip to see these two greats sharing a
few moments together.

George