Re: [OM] Taming the wild lens test

Subject: Re: [OM] Taming the wild lens test
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:58:51 EST
Hi Peter:

I figure that my pseudo-SQF grades go something like this:
A = capable of the best 35mm can give
B = acceptable image quality for all but the most discerning shots
C = marginal image quality - won't hold up to enlargement or projection, but
fine for standard size prints.
D = barely discernable details at standard photo lab print sizes
E = a failure

We sound alike.

Someday I'll know a range of resolutions that go with each grade, but for now
it suits my needs: selecting the right lens for the shot and knowing the
performance of their various apertures.  (And culling out the poor
performers).

Photographing at a 1:40 magnification ratio is darn close to the average ratio
of all my pictures.  I assume it minimizes the close focus aberations that
might show up at your 1:18 ratio.

Your test subject is all high contrast content.  A mix of low and high
contrast content is more like the real world.  Low contrast resolving power is
a strong test for a lens and the film it's being recorded on.  I pay lots of
attention to those details.  That is where contrast really comes into play.
You won't see much difference in lens contrast with a high contrast subject -
the letters will just have a lower density.

Lens Test 3 is still in the camera waiting on more lenses.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV