[OM] OMs in the South Atlantic

Subject: [OM] OMs in the South Atlantic
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:27:21 +0100
Dear Zuiko Travellers

I visited the Falkland Islands last week and took my OM1N(Reala) and OM4
(Sensia 100).  I should have had some HP5 or FP4+ for the wildness of the
scenery.  The rock formations are great and provide good focal points for
the landscape shots.  I used 28/2.8, 40/2 and 85/2 mainly.  I also wished
that I had taken an extension tube to picture the wonderful microscopic
grass and flowers.

I had some time to visit the former beachhead at San Carlos, where the
British cemetery is, looked after by the local farmer.  The site is
beautiful and wild, with the sun making magic light on the water and
surrounding hills.  The thought of being stuck in the Sound and vulnerable
to air attack was an unpleasant one.

I also visited Darwin, the site of a famous battle and took some more
landscape.  There also is the Argentinian cemetery - another emotionally
stirring place to be - where few of the graves are named.

On a more cheerful note, the landscape of East Falkland is wild and
wonderful.  The wind is strong pretty well all the time and the temperature
can vary from cold to very cold.  The light is pale, even in midsummer when
the sun shines (from the North of course) and the colours of the vegetation
fantastic.  I did not take a tripod, and the speed of my walks in the
mountains was such that I had little time to set up shots or to steady the
cameras in the wind.

I got some shots of Magellanic Penguins, but they were on a beach suspected
of containing mines, so I kept my distance.  There are many birds that I
have never seen before, such as Upland Geese and Cara-Cara (large bird of
prey).  I also saw my first Booby.

I have high hopes for the photos.

Chris